Since I don’t like pies I had to find some alternative so I could justify convincing my family to go apple picking this year. Then I remembered a few years ago someone made me an apple cake made from a Pampered Chef cake mix and some chopped apples that I really enjoyed.
The recipe below is a bastardization of several recipes I found on the internet, and I’ve decided not to credit any one source as I took a bit from here, there and put my own spin everywhere.
- 5 good sized sweet apples (such as Golden Delicious)
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp ground cinnamon + 1 tsp cinnamon for topping
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar + 4 tsp sugar for topping
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease & flour a 9 x 13 pan (I suggest a deep pan, mine rises over the top and I can’t use the cover)
- In the bowl of my stand mixer I used the paddle attachment to beat together the eggs, sugar (reserve the 4 tsp) and oil for 15 minutes. I don’t know why but it works so 15 minutes it is.
- While that works, sift together flour, salt, cinnamon (reserve the 1 tsp) and baking powder.
- Also while it worked I pealed, cored and diced up the apples into small chunks (a matter of preference is all).
- Once that 15 minute timer goes off add in the dry ingredients and the vanilla to your eggs mixture. I put in half the dry mixture and half the vanilla, let it incorporate a bit, then did the remaining half of each. Was it necessary to split it up? I don’t know but the cake was delicious.
- Fold in the apples and pour the batter into the 9 x 13 inch pan
- In small bowl combine the remaining sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.